Friday, January 3, 2014

Murder at Tendril Hinge Chapter 2

    Chapter 2
Weather Change
    
         Later that night Chris thought over what happened. To see his sister after 12 years was rather a shock. But he didn’t want to think about that, instead he needed to think about what was going to happen in the morning. Everyone would have to team up with partners, two each. A couple people had not shown up for the meeting. So he might get teamed up with someone he didn’t even know. He was hoping he wouldn’t get teamed up with his sister.
That morning he was teamed up, not with his sister, but with Cassandra Bullock. He was astounded to find that she was an agent. There. In that very room, where he had been so disgusted  by meeting his half sister, he met someone that made him...feel welcome. He wasn’t sure what, but he was delighted to be her partner. Yet, he wasn’t completely separated from his sister. The Falcon Plan needed two couples to work together. His sister and a  man named Jason were that other couple. When this was decided by Dr. Baker, the leader, Annabeth had given him a desperate pleading look. Chris had pretended not to notice and the despair in her face satisfied him.
Afterward Cassandra had given Chris a ride on her motorcycle; they went to the nearest fast food restaurant for a brunch.
“I’ll have a double please burger, cheese.” Chris told the lady at the cashier, and she gave him a confused look.
“I think he meant cheese burger, please....... I’ll have a fish sandwich..... Thank you.” After paying, Cassandra dragged Chris over to a booth nearby and sat down.
“What?” Chris looked offended
Cassandra looked at Chris with a worried expression,“Are you alright? You seem very distracted.”
“How so?” Chris looked confused
“First of all you ordered a “Please Burger” and didn’t seem to notice your mistake. Normally, I know, you wouldn’t make that mistake.” she gave a little giggle. Chris laughed at himself.
“Oh, I’m sorry.” he laughed a little, put his hand on hers, and leaned forward continued more seriously. “Don’t worry I’m fine. Trust me.”
“Alright, but sometimes I wonder if I should.” she smiled.
“Oh, here’s comes the food!” he said as a waitress approached the table holding a platter.

Cassandra thought after she had dropped him off at his apartment, He is distracted. I know it. Just like you know when a storm is coming. The way that girl was looking at him. Desperate. Sorry. Pleading. And he wouldn’t acknowledge it. Something is wrong, but what?
                    ***
“I still can’t tell you everything,” Annabeth moaned, “if I did it would cause major problems. I’m sorry if I hurt you when we were young. Please understand!” Her eyes glazed over when she saw Chris would not look at her.
“You sure it wasn’t because of my father?” he said finally looking up. “After your father died your mother married my father. He was cruel to her I admit. But just because I was his son you treated me like I was cruel too. He hurt you and mother. But me too! you never saw of course. Father only did it in private when you or mother weren’t around. When you excluded me from every thing; thinking I was the only one treated well. I was all alone. We could never comfort each other. And then you ran away....left me to take care of mother the best I could. I was only ten. Ten years I lived with my cruel selfish father do all he asked as well as shield Mother who was too weak to stand up against him. When I was seventeen she grew ill. I finally ran away when I was eightteen. Annabeth, do you see why I can’t forgive you? You left me and mother all alone. All alone.” Chris stood up walked swiftly out the door. Annabeth was to overcome with sadness to follow him.
“He won’t listen,” Annabeth whispered as tears tinkled down face and onto the table. “He never will!”
                    ***


As Chris walked to his apartment, he wondered if he had been too harsh. But he pushed that thought out of his mind, she was the one who had been harsh. He entered into his apartment, then turned on the news.
“Criminals are being held in jail for a period of five days before being put on trial.” But that was not what interested Chris, underneath was a title in red, “Tornado warning in the cities of Wylie, Sachse, Tendril Hinge and Cornerstone.” Suddenly he heard sirens going off. But then there was a knock on the door. When he opened it, Annabeth stood there in the pouring rain.
“Annabeth.” Chris gazed at her in shock.
“Umm, I was just leaving the meeting area and then I heard sirens.” Annabeth looked pleadingly.  “I didn’t know where else to go. My home was my car but that’s not exactly tornado safe.”
“Well, find somewhere else!” Chris slammed the door shut. Then thought again. But when he opened the door, she was gone.

    Annabeth shivered as she walked swiftly through the street, the sirens wailing around her. Where will I go? The agency is always closed when tornados come; they never let anyone in. Then she thought again, I guess I’ll try Jason Blake ‘s. Remembering his apartment number she raced over.
          Once she found his room, she knocked on his door. Jason stood there,”Are you crazy? There are tornados like everywhere!” he let her in. She and Jason had known each other since she started working as an agent. He knew everything about the Agency, he taught her everything she needed to know. But he had been so young.. now she needed his help again. But tomorrow they would need to help each other. They were partners.

No comments:

Post a Comment